BRUSSELS (AP) 鈥 NATO鈥檚 top military officer said Tuesday that he does not expect any from Europe 鈥 at least not anytime soon 鈥 beyond the 5,000 that U.S. President announced would leave the continent.
The remarks by U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich follow Trump’s surprise announcement of the move early this month, which came as the U.S. leader has and .
The Pentagon has to draw down thousands of troops in Europe as opposed to yanking out forces already stationed there.
鈥淚t will be 5,000 troops coming out of Europe,鈥 Grynkewich told reporters at NATO headquarters in Brussels, where top officers from the 32-nation military organization met. 鈥渓t鈥檚 all that I鈥檓 expecting in the near term.鈥
Remarks could allay fears of more cuts
Grynkewich鈥檚 remarks could allay initial fears that more cuts might be coming. The reductions have drawn blowback from both Democratic and Republican U.S. lawmakers, who said the move sent the wrong message to close allies and that Congress was not consulted about the changes.
Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Tuesday that the military reduced the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three, 鈥渞esulting in a temporary delay of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which is a model U.S. ally.鈥
The Pentagon 鈥渨ill determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies鈥 own ability to contribute forces toward Europe鈥檚 defense,鈥 Parnell said on social media.
He said Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke to Polish Defense Minister W艂adys艂aw Kosiniak-Kamysz on Tuesday and that the U.S. will ensure it 鈥渞etains a strong military presence in Poland.鈥
US military changes surprised allies in Europe
Trump鈥檚 announcement blindsided NATO allies and came despite U.S. promises to coordinate military moves with its allies and avoid creating security gaps.
Trump was notably angry at Germany, after said the United States was being 鈥渉umiliated鈥 by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a .
Some 4,000 troops from the Army鈥檚 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division are no longer going to Poland as planned, and the deployment to Germany of personnel trained to fire long-range rockets and missiles has been halted. Much of the detail is still being worked out.
Some were told not to get on a plane to Europe shortly before departure. About 1,000 soldiers and 1,700 pieces of equipment from that brigade had already arrived in Europe shortly before their deployment was canceled, a U.S. military official told The Associated Press on Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss military deployments.
Grynkewich said he spoke earlier in the day to military chiefs from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland about 鈥渟ome of the options and how we might array capabilities on the eastern flank,” along NATO’s border with Russia.
Concerns arise about effects on the Baltic states
The cancellation of the deployment to Poland has wider effects because some U.S. troops based in the Baltics, including Estonia, were supposed to come from the brigade meant to arrive in Poland, said Jonatan Vseviov, secretary-general at Estonia鈥檚 Foreign Ministry.
He described the development as 鈥渁 hiccup,鈥 but one that 鈥渋n and of itself is not going to collapse NATO deterrence in the Baltic states.鈥
Alluding to the sudden decision to pull troops, Estonia鈥檚 Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur told Estonian media Tuesday that 鈥渢here is not much information” about what is happening.
鈥淲hat we do know is that U.S. forces are in Estonia and will remain there,” he said, adding that 鈥渘o one has told me that any kind of lowering of the U.S. flag in Estonia is going to happen.鈥
Lithuania鈥檚 Foreign Minister K臋stutis Budrys, told AP that the deployment of 1,000 U.S. troops to Lithuania is also linked to the canceled rotation. He said he viewed any issues connected to the deployment to be a 鈥渢echnical issue,鈥 which hopefully will be resolved with American troops remaining in Lithuania.
The U.S. military official said officials are looking at how to bridge any gaps in the Baltic nations with other forces already deployed in Europe.
Grynkewich insisted that security in Europe would not be compromised but warned that allies should expect more drawdowns in coming years.
鈥淥ver the long term, we absolutely should expect additional redeployments as Europe continues to build capability and capacity and step up to provide more of the conventional defense of Europe,鈥 Grynkewich said.
鈥淚t鈥檚 going to be an ongoing process for several years,鈥 he said, but added, 鈥淲e鈥檙e going to stay well-synchronized with our allies moving forward.”
___
Burrows reported from Tallinn, Estonia.
Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.