WASHINGTON (AP) 鈥 said he is holding off on a planned for Tuesday because 鈥渟erious negotiations鈥 are underway to end the war.
鈥淭here seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I鈥檇 be very happy,鈥 Trump said at the White House on Monday evening, after first making the announcement in a social media post.
Trump said he had planned 鈥渁 very major attack鈥 but put it off 鈥 鈥渇or a little while, hopefully, maybe forever.” He said America鈥檚 allies in the Gulf asked him to wait for two to three days because they feel they are close to a deal with Iran.
Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire reached in mid-April could end if Iran did not make a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement. Over the weekend he warned, 鈥淔or Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won鈥檛 be anything left of them.鈥
The president has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off. But he鈥檚 also previously indicated he would hold off on military action to allow talks to continue 鈥 only to turn around and launch strikes. That鈥檚 what happened at the war鈥檚 outset, when he ordered strikes in late February shortly after indicating he would let talks play out.
Trump said the current pause for negotiations was a 鈥渧ery positive development,” while acknowledging there were times in the past when a deal seemed close but nothing came of it. 鈥淏ut this is a little bit different,鈥 he said.
Trump credits Gulf allies
The president, who had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for Tuesday, did not offer details about the planned attack but said in his social media post he had instructed the U.S. military 鈥渢o be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment鈥檚 notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.鈥
Trump said he was calling off the attack at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Iran and allied Shiite militias in Iraq have launched drone attacks targeting the Gulf Arab states in the war. The United Arab Emirates has recently accused Iran of launching despite the ceasefire. On Sunday, sparked a fire on the edge of the UAE’s sole nuclear power plant in what authorities called an 鈥渦nprovoked terrorist attack鈥 while not assigning blame.
Trump in recent days has also spoken with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and about the Iran war.
Oil prices affected
Trump鈥檚 post quickly caused a fall in , which had been rising on the prospect of a prolonged standoff that would keep the Strait of Hormuz effectively closed.
Minutes before the president鈥檚 announcement, petroleum futures had been trading at $108.83 a barrel. His word about negotiations almost instantly shaved more than $2 off the price, but it crept up again and ended on Monday at $107.25 a barrel.
Shortly after Trump鈥檚 post, Iranian state TV called it a 鈥渞etreat鈥 based on 鈥渇ear鈥 in its broadcast ticker and on its X account.
It reported earlier that defense systems were activated late Monday on Qeshm Island in the Strait of Hormuz. It added the situation was 鈥渦nder control鈥 there, the largest Iranian island in the Persian Gulf, home to about 150,000 people and a water desalination plant.
Major sticking points remain
Iran has effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for the shipment of oil, gas, fertilizer and other petroleum products. The U.S. is and has redirected 85 commercial vessels from mid-April through Monday, U.S. Central Command said in a social media post.
Earlier Monday, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said the immediate concern of the negotiations between the U.S. and Iran was keeping the Strait of Hormuz open, but Iran鈥檚 nuclear program remained a central issue.
Speaking during a joint news conference with his German counterpart in Berlin, Fidan said much of Iran鈥檚 enriched uranium that could potentially be used for a nuclear weapon was buried under collapsed tunnels following attacks in June that the U.S. launched with Israel. The U.S. has said it is closely monitoring any movements around the stockpile.
鈥淎t present, there isn鈥檛 a situation that poses a real threat,” Fidan said. 鈥淏ut for this to continue, the parties must reach and conclude a nuclear negotiation among themselves.鈥
The Turkish minister said he believes Iran is not opposed in principle to complying with nuclear conditions, but added: 鈥渢he question is what will be given in return, in what order, and under what conditions.鈥
With talks at a standstill last week, Iran’s foreign minister said Friday that a lack of trust was the biggest impediment to negotiations.
Iran, which says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, was said to have included some nuclear concessions in its latest proposal to end the war. But Trump dismissed the proposal as 鈥済arbage.”
___
Associated Press writers Josh Boak and Darlene Superville in Washington, Giovanna Dell鈥橭rto in Minneapolis and Suzan Fraser in Ankara, Turkey, contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.